Steve McQueen invited every Year 3 pupil in London to have their photograph taken for an epic portrait of London's future.
We designed the website to help promote the idea to teachers and built the web app that enabled online registration and booking for all schools helping to create this epic picture of London's present, and its future.
It's one of the most ambitious visual portraits of citizenship ever undertaken. Through the traditional school class photograph, the portrait captures thousands of London school children aged 7-8 in an exhibition at Tate Britain that opened in November 2019.
Steve McQueen invited every Year 3 pupil in London to have their photograph taken by a team of specially trained Tate photographers. They included children from state primaries, independent schools, faith schools, special schools, pupil referral units and home-educated pupils.
Demand from visitors has been beyond expectations. Thanks in part to the ease of booking that our app enabled, a high number of schools had their class pictures taken for the exhibition. The app also enabled the delivery partners A New Direction and Tate to administer such a successful response from schools.
“The bookings app is a great success. So great in fact it’s got all teachers booking, more than we had anticipated and that was already a high volume”.
The logistics of the project were complex - booking over a thousand schools into specific date allocations split across 33 London boroughs, matching with one of 10 Tate photographers and with photographs taken between October 2018 and May 2019.
The success of the show lies in its simplicity. These class photos are brought together into a single large-scale installation, capturing thousands of Year 3 pupils in a milestone year in their development.
The epic installation will draw huge crowds to Tate Britain. Demand has been so high for school visits that Tate has extend opening hours to accommodate school visits.
For our work on the project we were awarded Highly Commended at the Digital Impact Awards 2019
- Can your creative business survive the current shock?
- Collaborators wanted
- Steve McQueen Year3project - simple idea to staggering success
- Tate Year 3 Project wins a Digital Impact Award
- What we're working on
- Google's mobile-first indexing and what it means for your website
- Digital innovation in the arts
- How to conduct the perfect user interview
- The digital big bang
- Designing the customer experience
- How to bring stories into your marketing
- Identity crisis
- Get digital into your DNA
- Is your site built to last?
- Get your CTAs right
- Personas talk sense
- Science behind the story
- Stories in advertising
- Is your content user-friendly?
- Futuristic film
- Paper folds, screens scroll
- Why mobile shoppers buy more
- Say hello to Mobile or wave goodbye to customers
- Built for rent and digital innovation
- Construction careers - a guide for recruiters whose websites suck
- Get to grips with segmenting data
- Fall in love with inbound marketing
- Building brands
- Get to know your users better with Custom Event tracking
- When is responsive the right response?